| Media Studies
| Blog: Media Persuasion Propaganda
Marshall Soules, PhD
marshall.soules at gmail.com
Recent Projects and Writing
- Media, Persuasion and Propaganda. Forthcoming from Edinburgh University Press (February 2015). Order from Amazon.ca.
- Sam Shepard Improvises: Protocols of Improvisation in Performance. PhD dissertation published in Fall 2012. ISBN: 978-3-659-23835-2. Read the Introduction.
- Scan Amoureux Pierre Gauvreau and Janine Carreau at the Baron Gallery, Vancouver, 2011-2012. A review of two automatiste painters with background on the movement and its connections to street art.
- Ikarut Silakkut: Canadian North and Inuit Broadcasting: This visionary 1977 report to CRTC by Rod Chiasson argues that the Canadian North needs a broadcasting system which is oriented north-to-south and east-to-west, not south-to-north.
- Urban Wallpaper:
The Improvised Image and the Public Sphere.
- Cover Up! (Bleeding Edges) - video stream by Marshall Soules and improvised soundtrack by Marian van der Zon, Robin Davies, and Niel Scobie. Cover Up premiered at the Nanaimo Art Gallery in January 2012.
- B.W.Powe & the Solitary Outlaws.
- Interview with Laureano Ralon in December 2010 in Figure/Ground Publications.
- Anonymous Identities (Remembering Community: Digital prints for Datastream 3 Machine Communities), Nanaimo Art Gallery (Downtown): Jan. 14 to Feb. 13, 2010.
- Untitled, In a Foreign Tongue, Castro, McDeal. Photographs. In Cloninger, Curt. Hot-wiring Your Creative Process: Strategies for Print and New Media Designers. Berkeley, CA: Pearson / Peachpit Press, 2006.
- Cuba Demands. 2006. Online electronic edition of Editoria Politica (Cuban government) publication. 1999. marshallsoules.ca/cubademands/
- Urban Wallpaper: Take a tour. Click on smaller images.
- reFrame 2: Media and Leadership Conference
- The Cyborg Instructor: avatar.learnnewmedia.ca. I needed some(thing) to help me out as an instructor and with the help of some otaku built an avatar. Truly uncanny! Go ahead, ask me a question.
- Signs on the Wall: Unsanctioned Images in the Public Sphere: This collaborative project with Tricia Irish examines graffiti and postering from their social context to the legislation used to regulate it, with a specific focus on municipal legislation in Canadian cities. The website includes our presentation to the Visual Culture Conference at Kansas State University on March 10, 2005, and extensive resources on the subject of unsanctioned images in urban spaces.
- Codex Machines: From Fetish to Function in the Dynamic Text:
Presentation to the Consortium for Computing in the Humanities at the Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, May 2004.
- The Juxtaposition Engine: Recombinant Images and Emerging Narratives: Presentation (with Michael Nixon) to COCH/COSH at 2004 Congress for Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg.
- datastream 2: Reflections on Power. 2005.
- datastream: Exhibition of photography and digital installations, Nanaimo Art Gallery, March 18-31, 2004.
- ReFrame: Video at the Crossroads: Nov. 7 & 8, 2003
- Computer Gaming and Protocols of Improvisation: Presentation to COCH/COSH, University of Toronto, May 26, 2002.
- Animating the Language Machine: Computers and Performance: Computers and the Humanities (CHum), 2002.
- Protocols of Improvisation: Sam Shepard in B.C.: Presentation for Staging the Pacific Province Conference, University of British Columbia, Oct 10-13, 2001.
- Improvising Character: Jazz, the Actor, and Protocols of Improvisation:in The Other Side of Nowhere: Jazz, Improvisation and Cultural Theory, eds. Ajay Heble and Daniel Fischlin. Middletown, CT: Wesleyan UP: 2002.
- Collaboration and Publication in Hybrid Online Courses: Connections 2001 (BC's Centre for Curriculum, Transfer and Training), Whistler, BC, May 2001.
- Eshu's Cap: Improvisation at the Crossroads of the Diaspora: Guelph Jazz Festival, September 2000.
- From Video Conferencing to the Cybercafé: Membership, Performance and Online Learning: AACE Ed-Media Conference, Freiburg, June 1998
- Protocols of Improvisation in Online Communication
- Ed-Media 95: Graz, Austria
- De-Centering Higher Education: Originally written for Discover-E magazine at Vancouver Island University in 1997.
- European Tour 1995
The photographs on this page illustrate my interest in distressed posters, graffiti, and found images. Not generally recognized as collective artistic creations, these visual improvisations speak to urban vitality, decay, and cultural values in the public sphere. Click on examples to the right.